Thursday, January 14, 2010

Support American Made?

With today's economy being what it is we should really look around at what it is we are buying and who it is benefiting. Some people are on a kick to buy American made items. Well to be called American made it only has to have a small portion of its manufacturing process done here in the states. I was talking with my hardware supplier the other day about going over to American made hardware and they told us it isn't worth it as most of the process is done over seas. So this brings me back to my original statement, who is it benefiting? I for one am a supporter of buying local. I hate Walmart and other big chains that under cute small family run business. If you keep supporting these places eventually that is all you will have. Some of you may be wondering what this has to do with motorcycles, well it is just the same. If you buy your parts from places like J&P cycles or Jirah you are not supporting the guy in your town. Next time you call that guy and ask him for advise on how to install that cool new part think about what you are doing to him. He is working his ass off to keep his shop open and you are just abusing him. This goes for all the big internet distributer and so on. Call them when your part doesn't fit correct maybe they will put it on the bridgport for you and make it work.

Anyways I got a little off there, I basically think buying American is a good start however we need to take it further. By local when you can, support small business when you can, these little things will make a big difference over time.

1 comment:

Oz said...

I agree with you. I really like supporting my local shops. If they cost a little more it is still worth having a good relationship with your locals.